Smith Pak Foundation's Adoption Process
Our adoption process is made up of the following steps:
- The first step in being considered to adopt a dog from us is to request an application. You can email a request to email@example.com, text a request to 509-389-8269, or send a request via Facebook messenger. It may take several days before we are able to get your application processed. During this time, please make sure that you contact your vet and references to let them know that we may be calling. We realize that our application is long and very detailed, but it helps you understand what it takes to have a dog. The dogs we also have in our facility have also been through training and we can't strive how important continued training is for you and your dog. Once you have filled out an application a letter will be emailed to you, explaining our adoption process. Our application form can be accessed here.
- The Smith Pak Foundation Board reviews the application. We may contact you by phone or email to verify information or receive clarification to questions we may have about your application.
- If/When we believe the dog you have chosen would be a great fit for your family, we will set up a phone interview to answer your questions and ask any additional questions we may have regarding the adoption.
- Once approved, we will schedule a meet and greet! You and your family will come to where the dog is located. It is imperative that all family members come to this meeting.
- After the meet and greet, we schedule a home visit. One to two of the Smith Pak Board Members will come to your home and make sure the living environment is best suited for the dog you have chosen.
- Depending on the dog chosen, some have more training than others. We require a two one hour training sessions on back to back days.
- A ‘trial period’ is set up to make sure that the dog and the family are a good match. You will take the chosen dog home and this helps determine if this is a great fit for the dog and your family.
- Final adoption fee of $450 is paid to Smith Pak Foundation.
- At any time during this process, either side can stop the process. We make the decision together. We want your family and our dog to be the right fit! Our goal is to make sure each dog gets the right home. We strive to make that happen for every dog in our program.